Sunday, November 10, 2013

New Game - First Play Test

So the first play test of my game occurred this past Saturday.  Since I had not even tried a run through by myself or with my wife, I was very nervous.  I had no clue how balanced everything was or if any of my crazy ideas even worked together.  Unfortunately for all involved, I was slightly ill prepared, as I had to buy card sleeves on my way to the game day.  This caused me to ask everyone playing to help sleeve the "cards" (paper printouts).  Then I had to take 10 minutes to setup the resources (which are limited based on player count).  Oh yeah, I forgot to put on the cards which year they belonged to, so that took another 15 minutes to get right...  When I finally was explaining the rules, I fumbled through it a bit, but believed I got everything said.

So we started the first year.  I had a plan I wanted to try since I wanted to test a potential corner case, but the way the cards fell, I only partially completed the plan.  Thankfully, each of us tried a (at least) slightly different strategy.  At the end of the game, there was a tie at the top (77).  Last place (me) was at 73.

Edit: I forgot to mention that all players seemed to be very engulfed in the game.  There were a couple times that other people playing a different game were asking how much longer, and they had to ask multiple times to get any response from us.

I could not have asked for a better result!  Asking for comments at the end of each year, no one mentioned any major problems.  At the end of the game, there were some minor issues brought up (card wordings and not enough tense moment), but I was already aware of some of these, and the others are not too difficult to address.  I left the game day extremely proud of what I have accomplished so far!  I thank everyone that played the first game with me, and look forward to more plays with you all and anyone else that wants to try it out!

Edit: Changes I am looking at for the next version include: card wording updates, new method to track resources (both for players and the limited resources available at all locations), and potentially a small deck of event cards that affect all players at the beginning of each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment