Monday, January 13, 2014

New Game Design - Taking a Break from Playtesting

So it's been 2 months since the last playtest of my game.  I am not worried about it, though, since there have been a lot of new games (Kickstarter and Christmas gifts) to play.  Recently, I have had a couple new ideas for my game that will also deal with a couple issues that I had.

The biggest issue I've had so far is the amount of space each player would need.  I have been trying to figure our how to reduce the footprint required by all players.  Then it hit me, overlap the cards.  Given the layout of some old west towns, the majority of buildings could be on one main road.  By setting up the player boards to have a single, main road, I could have the players overlap the cards, thus reducing the footprint.

The slight downside to this change, however, is that there would be a lot of blank space on the cards.  So in thinking about it for a little bit, I came up with an idea.  The idea is to give some/most of the cards from the first 2 years a temporary or one-time ability that can only be used while it is visible.  This would add more strategy for players by making them decide when to overlap a specific card, thus losing its temporary ability.

So with these changes in mind, I need to take some time to modify the cards to add temporary/one-time abilities, and generate new player boards.  While I am working on these changes, I also plan to start thinking of some ways to give players unique starting resources/abilities that provides each player a different potential strategy to pursue.

Until next time, keep gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment